Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Object of Personal Significance

0bject of personal significance;

i guess, an object of personal significance to me is my boat. this has many links to my life and the elements that have shaped me as a person.
from a very early age I have been around boats and the ocean. a certain weariness and a converse sense of empowerment surrounds ‘boats’ in my life.
having my own boat is a source of pride and worry; pride from the fact that i fix and rehabilitate the impressive structure, have guided her safely through storms and can explore reaches of this earth otherwise unavailable. pride also from following my male elders footsteps. worry, from the responsibility i feel for the boat and the guests i take out.
i see my boat as an extension of myself. i see it as a manifestation of my personal strength and ability to seek and realize a dream.


boat revisited

i am a solid, fibrous shell. Hollow. i am a mix of rounded and square shapes.
i displace matter to occupy space and my position can be manipulated by external physical forces.
i have a thin shaft protruding perpendicularly to my main structure and can hold many items inside.

below are a few simple mock ups i did using cue from above;
i found it very hard to detach myself from my prior knowledge and prejudice towards this item. this shows up the old idea that an artists vision can be blurred easily and needs to be constantly evaluated to keep on the best path.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home